LIFE, DEATH
Today, I saw in the obituary section of a local daily a picture of someone I used to know and occasionally work with. It's the ninth anniversary of his passing today. Good Lord, has it really been nine years?
My heart missed a beat, and my thoughts went back to the days when I would be sitting in meetings with him to hear his proposal, his vision for the motorcycle racing team he founded and managed.
He died relatively young, and truly unexpected.
Over these past few years, many more friends and colleagues (and members of my own family) left this world relatively young and unexpected. Was it work, lifestyle, or the food they ate, or what? I have no idea, only a feeling of loss and sadness.
Sadder still were the few senseless deaths in the past few days. Freak accidents, bus crashes, drownings, fires -- incidents that could be avoided with a bit of care and caution.
I mean, if you don't know how to swim, do not go into the water. If it's your child, don't let him or her near the water. Otherwise, teach him or her how to swim.
I watch my twin godsons -- who at 11 are relatively good swimmers -- like a hawk whenever they go swimming, be it in the swimming pool or at the beach. Like a hawk means my eyes would never leave them, not even once.
Quite an aggressive driver, I become the most sopan and berhemah motorist whenever they are with me in the car. They themselves are quite familiar with the road safety do's and don'ts.
They have also been taught not to play with matches, and to shun fire-crackers and mercun.
With what they already know and what I would keep on reminding them about, I hope and pray that the good graces of Allah would keep them safe and sound.
Amin.

6 comments:

wetbenang
I think I'd blame it on the bad lifestyle and food... other than those two.. it's all written in His book.. but again, sad to see someone dies at young age.. hmm..

6:51 PM  

Bang Man, if u wake up and able to read the obituary section and can't find ur pix/name there, u are cool...ha ha ha...that's what I kept on telling meself..I do read that pages as well, it reminds me of my blessing and how u are going to be remembered when u r gone....but I am more anxious about how I am taken while I am still alive....Once I'm done, I'm done. Me and GOD. That's that.

6:31 AM  

Xis, yes, lazy lifestyle. Right, Sam? Ha ha. Keep up with your walks in the park, 'k? Anyway, about life and death, I always say that my best day is any day above ground...Cheers!

10:18 AM  

at the risk of sounding morbid.. death is always on the mind with me..

every time i do something daft (read : hehehe.. however you think it should be read..) I would wonder.. what if i died at that very moment.. would that how I want to die and be brought before Him..

when someone travelling/driving and doesn't arrive on time and I can't reach him/her, I fear the worst.. talk about paranoia..

when I hear the phone ring in the middle of the night or during the we hours of the morning.. my first thought would be.. you guessed it.

i think having lost my dad and a friend i spent 5 years growing up with in residential school, plus the many funerals I've been to. all have something to do with it (see.. morbid kan.. I truly have attended many, many funerals ever since I was a kid..or at least paid my respects.. most recent a neighbour fom another block at the apt a couple of weeks ago!)

3:58 PM  

oii. banyaknya typo... sorry ah.. malas preview lagi...

3:59 PM  

Lis, I share your sentiment about being morbid and all. However, now I am more comfortable with death in the sense that I am more accepting and mentally ready for anything after TOK departed. Before, I could not imagine life without Tok and it is now going to be 2 years of her departure. I have survived & still surviving the loneliness, the emptiness and the sadness of not having her around. But she is always with me-every second of my breathing life..I can still feel her love care and her doa for me. That's good enough for me to move on....Otherwise, I would not be in Kiwisland materializing my dream...

1:50 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home