A GRIM WORD ON GLOBAL WARMING
The most inconvenient truth about global warming, says Newsweek's Fareed Zakaria, is that we cannot stop it.
A recent report predicts that by the year 2100 (that's 93 years from now), temperatures will have risen by between 1.1 and 6.4 degrees, and as a result, sea levels will rise by 18 to 59 centimetres.
This is largely thanks to the dramatic rise in the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. These gases have built up over hundreds of years, and they don't disappear or dissipate easily.
"Even if the world adopted the most far-reaching plans to combat climate change, most scientists agree that the concentration of greenhouse gases will continue to rise for the next decades. In other words, global warming is already baked into Earth's future," says Mr Zakaria.
Grim. So what can we do about it?
Apart from weaning the world off dirty fuels (this means fossil fuels) and adopting and perfecting new technologies (like clean coal and hybrid cars), another strategy that the world could do is to adapt, says Mr Zakaria.
What does this mean?
People need to already start discussing about policies that prepare for a hotter, drier world, particularly in poorer countries, experts say.
Like what? Developing new crops, constructing flood defenses, setting different building regulations or banning building close to sea level, for example. Because unlike plans to slow down global warming which require massive international efforts, adaptation strategies could be quickly pursued by individual countries.
And they are cheaper to implement now than to wait for another 20-30 years.
Now, do I dare think our elected leaders are aware or care enough to start thinking about this?

10 comments:

Wetbenang
I think not many people really care about this. Some, they just talk about it without mean what they say. I guess when a terrible disaster happens, then people are start paying more attention to all this matter. But I guess at that time, it's quite late for prevention... right?

12:06 PM  

It's basic human psychology, no? I mean millions of world's population are worried where their next meal is coming from still, so what's global warming relative to this? How was your weekend?

8:38 AM  

Wetbenang
mt weekend.. was so-so.. oh well.. pretty boring and stressful I must say... hmm.. yours? I bet you had a good weekend, right?

4:17 PM  

My weekend? Did a bit of shopping (alone) on Sat morning, then went out for supper with a bunch of friends. On Sun, went out for bfast with the same friends, then ran some errands, came home and started a DVD marathon, also alone. Sad, huh?

5:21 PM  

Wetbenang
you also ended up alone, eh? Sad? err.. depends on your situation at that moment.. some people are happy to be alone.. some are not.. hmm... you should have called me though.. then maybe we can hang out somewhere..

12:02 PM  

Xis,
I guess there are moments when people prefer to be alone, like you said, and there are moments when they need to be around friends. Hang out with you? Hmm, that's an idea :)

8:33 AM  

Wetbenang
yup.. but being alone does not mean we have to ignore others' presence in our life. Yup.. hang out with me.. let me know whenever you're free.. but I don't think you have my contact number.. how to call then?

11:41 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:04 PM  

Wetbenang
thanks for the number.. but why does it look so familiar? Hmm.. anyway.. not a problem with your age.. I can accept almost anybody as friends.. :)

6:56 PM  

Waaaaa.....I can't help but to join in the "alone syndrome" interpersonal communication...being the nosey parker I am...ha ha ha...aiyaaa...what's in age..cliche as it may sounds, "mind over matter" what...we don't have to bring ourselves UP or DOWN to any age level, just being ourself. Take me or get away from me - my gain and ur lost...ha ha ha..Life is so simple and straightforward ma....I am always ALONE but never LONELY....:) ...Errr...when I come back to Msia, can lepak with you guys one aaa ?....:) Take it easy guys....

1:34 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home