AN ILL-FITTING DRESS AND A WHOLE LOT OF PETTY MESS

A letter to the editor of today's issue of a tabloid caught my eye. It says:
"Dear Editor,
People tend to care more about themselves rather than worry about the bigger issues we are facing daily like climate change and the economic outlook.
What is the big fuss about ERA FM deejay Linda Onn, who did not attend an event because she claimed her dress was too revealing?
I was not aware that clothing could be a big issue and it's a joke to me.
We have more serious issues to tackle instead of focusing on this issue.
Please put a stop to this matter.
Kenneth Ho
Kuala Lumpur"
I'm not sure whether the good Mr Ho would receive a reply from the editor. I'm guessing not, so I'd like to say this to him, just in case he drops by my blog site.
First. Wake up and smell the crappy reality, Mr Ho, because the whole world over people care only for themselves. They don't give a hoot about climate change, the environment or the economic outlook. Malaysians not excluded.
Second. Yes, clothing is a big issue in this country. Where have you been? People can go on talking about clothes for weeks on end. Too sexy, too skimpy, too revealing. Why, people are often singled out because of what they wear. Sometimes they are even thrown out of certain government offices or some establishments.
And yes, clothes are a big business. And they could also become a national issue. Otherwise Linda Onn would have worn the dress by the Indonesia-born Malaysian designer she originally intended to wear at the event she was supposed to attend, instead of the replacement dress by the Malaysia-born Malaysian designer that had not been properly fitted. (Although I'm not sure whether it was really because of the dress she did not attend the event, or because she did not pass the dress rehearsal.)
Third. Yes. The whole thing is a joke. Only it is not funny. Right, Mr Ho? You and I are not laughing. Instead we are seething with anger.
Why? Because the whole nation is full of small-minded, pea-brained petty thinkers who never get their priorities right. From the small riff-raffs to the elected reps to those higher-ups we called leaders. None does.
And the sad thing is, they keep breeding, and their small-mindedness spawn more small-mindedness.
And Mr Ho, no one can seem to put a stop to this.

3 comments:

Wetbenang
I must say.. I like your comment on this matter raised by Mr Ho. And I agreed with you.. no many people care about climate change, the environment or the economic outlook. Anyway.. how are you doing?

4:16 PM  

Hi,
Am orait, I guess. I singgah your blog tadi .. nice pics of you near the stream dlm hutan tu...

5:59 PM  

Wetbenang
thanks.. :)

5:43 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home