REUNIONS
This past weekend was a weekend of happy reunions, indeed.
The missing child Yin was reunited with his parents, at last, and the whole nation heaved a huge sigh of relief.
I got all choked up when I first heard the good news Saturday night. Tuhan Maha kaya, I thought. The prayers of Yin’s parents, and those of many others, had been answered. Alhamdulillah.
I couldn’t even begin to imagine how the parents must have felt, how they must have suffered during the 14-day ordeal.
When my twin godsons were Yin’s age, I took them shopping at a department store, and they decided to play hide and seek among the racks of clothes. I couldn’t find them for a couple of minutes, and I almost went crazy!
Now that Yin is back safe and sound, let’s not start passing judgment or making speculations about the Myanmarese couple who found and returned him to the arms of his parents.
Please let the authorities do their job. Let’s not allow this become another circus, although this morning I read the papers with a heavy heart that the couple’s neighbours were already bringing out the sandwiches.
And the photo ops for politicians and their wives are still in full swing.
Typical!
During the weekend, I was also “reunited” with Azrie and Edrie, my twin godsons. I had not seen them since December. We went shopping Saturday morning for shirts, shoes and pants. They are growing up so fast sometimes it’s almost hard to believe that they are already 11 years old!
In the afternoon, together with my colleague Ju, we went to an orphanage to visit and have tea with our “adopted” children. It was a reunion of sort for Ju, who last saw her “daughter” in October. Me, I visited Amar, my “son”, only last month when he turned 15.
Anyway, tea with the kids was a sobering experience, even for the twins, who got along quite well with their 23 newfound brothers and sisters. In fact, Amar, largely regarded as the orphans’ eldest brother, asked me to bring the twins along again for my next visit. Insya Allah.
This afternoon, out of the blue, a long-lost friend I went to college with called. I had not heard from her in more than a decade, I think. So, we are planning for a reunion. Soon, I hope.
Tuhan Maha kaya.
“The supreme happiness in life is the conviction that we are loved.”
- Victor Hugo

4 comments:

Oh...so happy for you Che Man...and of course Yin's parents..can't imagine if that were to happen to any of the kids that I know of...

And hope that you will have a good reunion with your long lost friend from college years...have a grand time....:)

5:05 PM  

Wetbenang
Although I symphatized the parents.. but I believe they were just being careless. I heard the father went inside the fitting room when Yin started to go missing. So, my question is.. what the heck did the mother do? She claimed she was busy looking after Yin's little brother.. but can't she just take care of Yin as well while the hubby was in the fitting room...? Ahh...

5:29 PM  

Xis,

I reserve my comment on this one. But I must register my disgust with the newspapers - pages and pages of stories/speculations on the foreigners who found and returned the kid. I feel so sorry for them. Now they are remanded, and their own children are with the authorities.

9:54 AM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:54 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home