ANOTHER CIRCUS, AT A SLEEPY HOLLOW
"Undi anda rahsia."
That was the slogan widely broadcast (and popularly understood) in the run-up to elections when I was growing up as a child.
I remember when my late father, my mother and those in my family old enough to vote went to cast their ballot, they would be greeted by smiles and nods of encouragement -- from people of opposing sides -- on the way to and at the voting centre.
Activities leading to the election day -- from the nomination process to campaign ceramahs to the voting day -- were also relatively incident-free. No shouting, no jeering, no insults, and certainly no objects thrown at each other.
Gone were those days.
Elections today -- even by-elections in the remotest of areas -- are a full-blown circus. Thousands of supporters, would-be voters and leaders would descend to the sleepy hollow armed with slogans, flags and placards, with verbal vocabularies to match.
And in the case of Ijok, they also came armed with drinking water bottles. And the FRU, with its water cannon truck, was there too to complete the picture.
Yup. Only in Boleh-Land.
In the meantime, the Yin saga circus is still playing in Sentul. The Myanmar couple is out on police bail, courtesy of Suhakam. I hope and pray that the Press would cease hounding (and torturing) them with speculations. Let the police complete their investigations. Focus on other issues to sell your papers.
No ideas? Set camp in Ijok for the next eight days or so. I'm sure the circus there will give enough fodder for weeks to come.

2 comments:

Wetbenang
errkk.. thought you're supposed to enjoy your break in kuching.. still managed to blog.. hmm. anyway.. me.. I have yet to register myself and never will. Either I register or not.. I still have to pay tax.. anyway.. how's kuching?

4:25 PM  

Hi Xis,
Enjoying my break, taking it easy. Still, ada masa utk update blog...ha ha. Kucing macam biasa, still....meowwwwww...

10:40 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home