LIFE, DEATH – PART III
At the end of an extremely trying day Wednesday, I was rewarded with an absolutely pleasant surprise, in the form of Ma June.
Yes, I bumped into Ma June – well, it was she who first saw me – at KLCC. She was just about to have dinner with her lovely, lovely family – her husband, two of her three sons and her daughter. My, how the children have grown!!
I had not seen Ma June and her adorable children, had not been to visit her, in ages. We keep in touch via SMSs (although the exchanges have been few and far between of late) and I do keep tab on her through her sister JJ, who gives me updates on Ma June once in a while when we run into each other in the building. I know both her and JJ went through a lot these past couple of years.
Anyway, Ma June looked her usual radiant self that night. She was all poise, grace and charm, as always. We swapped news, briefly – in fact, too briefly, because I did not want to disturb her meal. Yet, that brief encounter kept me thinking about her and her family all the way home that night.
Ma June is indeed a remarkable lady. I admire and respect her many qualities – her honesty, her humility, her generosity, her love, devotion and sacrifices for her loved ones and for those around her, her strength of character, her impeccable manners. And who would forget her delightful Nasi Kerabu Siam?
I texted her the following night: “Ma June, it really was an absolute delight seeing you and your lovely family last night. Everyone has grown so much! It’s been too long, kan? We have to do something about this. Take care. Jumpa lagi.”
She texted back, almost immediately: “It was sooo nice to see you, too. NST days seem like a lifetime ago because I’ve hardly kept in touch with anyone. We are all so busy. Must make efforts for a reunion, yes? Take care.”
Yes, we must make the efforts. We must. Life is too short.
Last night, while still feeling elated from my brief encounter with Ma June, I was shaken by a text message from D.
“C is not mobile anymore. At Kulim Hospital.”
I sat down and offered a short doa.

1 comments:

And life is getting more terrifying by days.....And I pray hard for all my family and friends, every waking days of my life....

8:07 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home