A LOT OF PEOPLE SOUND STUPID. REALLY.

Ah, yes. Another mindless controversy has cropped up, brought about by people who have nothing better to do.
I had expected this, the moment the Best Actress winner at the recent Malaysian Film Festival opened her mouth when accepting her award.
"I sound stupid when I speak in Malay, so I will make my speech in English," she said that night. Then she went on to say: "If making films 'mencemarkan budaya' let's do it more often!"
I have no issue with the statements. Because I see and understand them within the context they were uttered. And I didn't have to be there either.
A lot of people are not comfortable when asked to speak or write in Bahasa Melayu, because the language is so refined, so beautiful, so rich. People are easily intimidated by these qualities of the language, more so if they are to address an audience.
Personally, I have often declined invitiations to speak in Bahasa Melayu, for fear that I'd butcher the language. Although I love the language -- I envy my truly "bi-lingual" colleagues -- I'm more comfortable expressing myself in English.
My spoken Bahasa Melayu is so bahasa pasar, or so directly translated, that I'd rather not offend my audience. Colleagues used to laugh at expressions like: "Mesin kopi tu tak bekerja (that coffee machine does not work)", or "Saya rehatkan kes saya! (I rest my case!)".
So I understand the actress' predicament.
A lot of people also took offence at her other statement. I don't understand this either. Obviously she was referring to the hoo-haa made over her film a while ago by certain quarters, who went about town saying the film eroded and tarnished the Malay culture. Remember the stupid episode of Fenomena Seni on RTM1 where the film (and its director) was endlessly and mindlessly bashed?
Yet, the film won accolades, not just elsewhere, but at the Festival as well. So it was within this context that the statement was made.
Itulah, orang Melayu kita suka melatah, without looking at or understanding the bigger picture, the context. And melatah selectively, too, while overlooking a more offensive incident that happened that night.
What more offensive incident, you ask?
Well, the lewd leer and sexist remarks made by a has-been comedian (although personally I never subscribe to his brand of humour) to his female co-presenter that night, for one.
He kept ogling his co-presenter's derrière (among her other body parts) and made offensive and suggestive "ass"essments.
And then he went on to pass another offensive statement to a person accepting the award, saying that the person has finally repented (bertaubat) because she was now wearing a tudung.
Yet, no one has picked this up. Not the press, not even the Culture, Arts and Heritage Minister.
Is this type of behaviour allowed and tolerated because it's in our culture? Are we going to let this sexist, small-minded attitude continue to fester in our society? Is this going to be part of our culture and heritage?
Someone answer me, please.

2 comments:

Oh yea ... saya setuju benar dengan analisa ini. Manifestasi hidup dalam kepompong kejumudan -- knee jerk reaction and irrationally sensitive outbursts on some things but not others.

Am I manglishly buthering the language? Uh well ... i'm no bird on the wire as i haven't yet made it to front page like sharifah amani.

7:37 PM  

Anonymous: Thank you. I had to consult my Malay expert friend today to find out what "jumud" means. Bukan apa, someone stole my Kamus Bahasa Melayu from my desk.

The bashing of Sharifah Amani and the films Sepet and Gubra has not stopped. Susah kan, macam ni...

11:31 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home